Saturday, May 11, 2013

In A Time of My Own



1.? & The Mysterians96 Tears
Original Recordings - This was the song I listened to all the time when Pop left Mom. The rest of the album is just as great and even though it was one of my Pop's records, I still loved it.
2.The BandThe Great Pretender
Moondog Matinee - Although I love Robbie's fantastic songwriting, this album always brings back the time I lived in Sonoma. It seemed like the hot dog stand I used to roller skate past every Saturday would be playing this album. It must have been the stoner behind the counter, but I'm grateful to him for those great memories.
3.Talking HeadsCreatures of Love
Little Creatures - I know I was a bit young for the first wave of these guys, but this album defined Middle School for me. We even danced to this at one of the dances that following Spring.
4.PJ HarveyRub Til It Bleeds
Rid of Me - Flash forward a few years and well, the drugs were good, and the music only got better.
5.Spacemen 3Come Down Softly To My Soul
Playing With Fire - I missed these guys the first time through, but well, I guess I was either too young or too sober. But man, did they hit me when they hit me. Just plowed me right under.
6.The Brian Jonestown MassacreCold To The Touch
Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request - Now this one came along at the right time and with the right amount of clouds in my mind, which I'm not sure they cleared up or merely served to thicken.
7.Captain Beefheart & His Magic BandDirty Blue Gene
Doc At The Radar Station - I guess since I really got into the Captain's music after his decline, I didn't really hear his albums in their natural progression. This one always stood out to me, maybe because it was the first of his masterpieces that I heard, but somehow, it has really stuck with me.
8.The 13th Floor ElevatorsShe Lives (In a Time of Her Own)
Easter Everywhere - I am putting these in order of their appearance in my life, though of course this album was from eons before my time on this planet ;-) though it made me feel as if it were made eons beyond my plane of existence.
9.Lee "Scratch" PerryChase The Devil
Arkology - Like any stoner worth their salt, I went through my reggae and ska period. This album is one of the few that is still on frequent replay in my apartment.
10.BabasónicosCoralcaraza
Trance Zomba - Doowad and I have been in touch over the years and he sent me a mix from Mexico with these guys on it. I asked him if he had anymore and he picked up a couple albums for me. It turned he didn't like them so well, but this album turned me upside down when I was already inside-out, though I never understood what the fuck they were saying.
11.BeckPainted Eyelids
One Foot in the Grave - I had been a big Beck fan since the beginning, but this was a real turn-on to me. I'm just starting to dig into the hints of roots that he shows in some of the more rustic tunes on the album.
12.Belle & SebastianIs It Wicked Not To Care?
The Boy with the Arab Strap - It was about this time that I felt like the noisier pursuits of my youth were coming to a close. Not abruptly, but organically.
13.MobyThe Sky Is Broken
Play - The album I played the most after I broke up with Evelyn, this sweet granolaish beauty I dated out of college and even lived with for a bit. Ah, but well, hearts are like the sky.
14.Rufus WainwrightShadows
Poses - What a voice, that's all I can say or all I need to say.
15.BeirutCliquot
The Flying Club Cup - Well, I had begun be disillusioned with music ever hitting me the same way as in my youth until this album came along. I really thought it was a shame that I had put down the pipe a couple years before this because this would have gone down right nice with a lungful.


No comments:

Post a Comment