Friday, May 17, 2013

Shades of Guru




01 Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Up From Below
02 Caroline Herring - Song Of The Wandering Aengus
03 Rickie Lee Jones - Bitchenostrophy
04 Robert DeLong - Global Concepts
05 Winter Gloves - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana Cover)
06 Soda Stereo - De música ligera
07 Dengue Fever - Seeing Hands
08 Prietto Viaja Al Cosmos Con Mariano - Alucinando En El Salón Cósmico
09 Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin - Meditation
10 Pink Floyd - Fearless
11 José González - Crosses
12 The Mountain Goats - New Star Song
13 Neil Young - Yonder Stands the Sinner

I am back after a time away. I know the first song is probably not my typical fare, but I caught them on Austin City Limits and there was something in the snippets of lyrics that I understood which triggered a memory of myself in alternate reality.  The last time I wrote about my adolescent pastime, I mentioned my poor old ex-friend Bobby. If I had been a bit more of a pathological personality, Bobby could have been my Simon Peter. But thankfully, his fascination with who I represented to him in his hazy stupor freaked me out more than turned me on. Once I had one person as a true believer, it would be a relatively simple process to incorporate more followers into smallish cult. And from there, a few hokey philosophical treatises and I would be on my way to being another Joseph Smith or L. Ron. Well, one can dream, can’t one?




No comments:

Post a Comment